Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Expense reports

One of my tasks here is to compile receipts from various sources and produce expense reports that might result in reimbursement. This makes me a very popular finance intern, because I often tell people that they should file expense reports and everyone likes to receive money back.
The first expense report I filed was for a man who performed consultant work for our pavilion with the aim of recruiting sponsors. I was nervous and confused, because I had never filed an expense report before; . I've delivered pizzas to guys who were doing expense reports, but never firsthand. Anyway, he bought a plane ticket for the trip, stayed in a hotel, ate at restaurants, drank coffee, saw something entertaining, and took numerous taxi rides. I arranged the receipts by date and category, then I glued them to sheets of paper for easier viewing. After that, I filled out the expense report spreadsheet that summarizes, itemizes, and describes each of the charges. The rightmost columns contain the totals cells, the first in RMB (Chinese currency, stands for RenMinBi, "People's Currency") and USD. After all of the amounts in his expense report were entered, converted, and totaled, one of my colleagues (Jing or Carol) reviewed and double-checked the work, signed the printed copy, and then placed it into the "To Be Approved" expense folder. Upon the approval signature of our Chief Operating Officer, the money was refunded in RMB notes.
I had an interesting expense report situation last month: a woman was fired for various reasons, and the pavilion staff wanted me to complete her expense report as soon as possible. Although I had been advising her for several weeks to begin collecting and arranging her receipts, she waited until 2 days after being fired to begin work. It was a painful situation, especially considering I could not contact her to ask any questions (was this latte business related?). So I was taken off of my ongoing Value in Kind goods assignment to complete her expense report. In the end, it was such a large amount that my supervisor decided to verify some of the charges himself.

We have an IT department, for which several miscellaneous cords, connectors, routers, and other hardware must be purchased, so when receipts for those items come to my desk (assuming they were not prepaid), I must process those as well as the cost of transporting the pieces.
Our sponsorship department deals with the state, city, and corporate entities that made donations to support our pavilion. They often have to wake up very early to attend special meetings or conferences, pick up people from the airport/hotel, etc., at which point the metro stations have not yet begun to transport. It is for this reason that they must ride taxis that can get to be quite expensive depending on where they live. The reverse is also true: sometimes they have to attend late meetings or dinners, take care of sponsors, drop them off at the hotel, and return home. Metro stations usually close at 23:00, and taxis are more expensive at night, so staff members are especially eager to be reimbursed for those.
Next in the list of expenses the sponsorship department staff incurs is phone bills. Many of them have long been using their own personal phones to talk to sponsors, which can get very expensive given the frequency of sponsor calls and visits. They give me their phone card receipts and I note the purpose, time, and amount in their expense reports.
Last in the types of expense reports I have processed is the hospital bill reimbursement. Until recently, when we straightened out the communication with insurance company process, I had to process these reimbursements for students who had unexpected, emergency visits to the hospital. One of these was for a student ambassador who was bitten on the arm by a disgruntled Chinese woman who was tired from waiting in line for 2 hours to visit our pavilion!

So once again, I'm pretty popular for two reasons: I hand out student stipends and I reimburse people for their out of pocket expenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment